Sunday, May 29, 2011

Three Reviews: Pirates, The Hangover, & Big Happy Family

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
This movie felt like the writers (Elliott & Rossio), desperate to squeeze out something of a working plot to appease the money hungry producers, grabbed the script of The Curse of the Black Pearl, threw in some mermaids and called it a day. Stranger Tides is one giant gimmick: a broken record of over-used cliches and forced one-liners. The introduction of Penelope Cruz as a love interest was some attempt to give Captain Jack a bit more depth, but even that could not save a film who desperately needed to give the franchise a sense of progression. As much as I hoped for Stranger Tides (under the direction of Rob Marshall) to harken back to the good ol' days of the first film, I was sorely disappointed to find that it was only a sub-par copy cat.




The Hangover: Part II
Speaking of copy cats, Part II should be the poster child. This film was almost unbearable. I could tell from the previews that it would adhere to the format of the first. Back then I appreciated it; I thought, why change a good thing? And then I sat down to watch it and realized that I was oh so wrong. Part II is like walking though a haunted house when all the lights are on. There is no anxious anticipation of what's around the corner because you can see it coming. And maybe the filmakers knew this, so instead of producing something clever, they took the time to devise ways to make it more vulgar and uncomfortable. Save yourself the $10 and just sit on your couch and imagine that the first film took place in Bangkok instead of Vegas. You'll most likely have a more satisfying experience.




Madea's Big Happy Family
Tyler Perry's latest film made me laugh enough to stay seated. I think anyone who goes to see a Tyler Perry film already anticipates corny dialogue, long-running and obvious ad-libbing, and over-the-top situational drama. Big Happy Family is all of these elements plus a few highly annoying characters. But, having that anticpation makes the pill easier to swallow. Tyler Perry as Madea was the one saving grace of this Tyler Perry Tyler Perry Tyler Perry film. And, like I said, it made me laugh.







PLEASE NOTE: The Hangover: Part II is rated R for language, nudity, sexuality, etc.

Photo Credits: imdb.com

2 comments:

  1. You do a great job concisely summing up your thoughts, Megan. We may watch Pirates one day, but I wish they hadn't overdone things. The first was so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't a big fan of Hangover II either...I really thought they phoned it in. I wasn't expecting anything poignant, but I agree, the story was very forced.

    Speaking of comedies, have you seen Bridesmaids yet? I promise you won't regret that one. :)

    ReplyDelete